The Amazing New VGS Italian SIG Website is Now Online!
My name is Giacomo. I am the new Web Assistant for the Italian Special Interest Group of The Villages Genealogical Society. I have spent the last three weeks putting together this wonderful new Website for you, the members of the Italian SIG.
There are so many resources available for you on this site. Here are the top 15 features as of today:
- A gallery of photos taken all over Italy, from Lombardia and Veneto to Sicilia and Calabria, many taken by me, Giacomo! Only a few have been uploaded, but many more will appear over time.
- Many pages on Regional Italian Cuisine. This area has pages for every region, and it too will expand over time.
- Pages about Italian Linguistics.
- Resources for Italian Surname Search and Research.
- Videos about Italy and Italian Genealogical research.
- Links to Radio Italy New York Live as well as radio staions from all over Italy which broadcast on the Internet. You can select your music in a new window, minimize that window, and go back to doing your research while you listen!
- Lists of Regions, Provinces and comuni, all with links to the Wikipedia page for each.
- Maps, including maps of the individual regions with the component Provinces shown, as well as a Linguistic Map of Italy.
- The ability to search by Region or by Topic. New Topics are being added all the time. Eventually we will have Search by Province, too.
- Of course there is a DNA section with links to various Italian DNA projects.
- A content sidebar with links to the VGS Website, a slideshow, a link to the Italian National Archives Genealogy Website, and Links to our new forums, where you can post things you want to talk about or answer someone elses post. Use the Search by Topic feature and search on Forums for examples of how this works.
- There is also an RSS Feed Reader Board, featuring five of the top genealogy blogs. Click on a blog name, and you will see their most recent posts crawl up the screen. Click on the post, and suddenly you’re viewing it in the source blog!
- For those of you who have wide screen monitors, if you view the site full screen, you will note a photo of the Temple of Hercules Victor which I took in Roma a few years ago, residing in the right hand portion of the screen.
- This wonderful blog, which will bring you news and items of interest.
- A contact form, with which you can send a message to me, Giacomo, with suggestions and ideas about the site.
I really hope you like the site.